Posts Tagged ‘Term Limits’
I received this in an email and you know what – it sounds pretty good to me.
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3% and be the same as Social Security.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work. (Term Limits)
Maybe, just maybe, the Congress would start to use more common sense when creating laws etc.
And that’s my view..
Here’s an idea regarding term limits for the members of Congress.
- Limit each Senator and Representative to two terms
- Give them the ability to request another term
- They must submit a request one year before national elections
- They are put on the National Election List
- If they have been doing good for the Nation vote them in
What do you think?
A few years ago a young man ran for Congress from Florida. One of the things that struck home was his great intentions – he wanted to do what was right for the Country and Florida. I honestly believe that every person that runs for either the Senate, House of Representatives or other public office starts out with the same intentions.
So what happens? Check this carefully and see if it makes sense to you.
1 – they run for office on their principles and with good intentions.
2 – their first term they try to stick to those intentions.
3 – they get re-elected and suddenly a change happens.
4 – they begin to really think of what they are doing as a “job” and now they must do what they can to keep their job. Who elects them? The people in their own state so now they have to begin to “cut deals” to get stuff for their state – like millions of dollars of aide just to vote a certain way. (sound familiar?)
5 – Now they lose their initial vision and start to lose their direction and start to lose site of the importance of what they are doing to OUR COUNTRY.
6 – they begin to think of how they can get re-elected again and they cut more deals, begin to work at getting earmarks for their state and by doing so they hurt our country.
So what do we do about that? We limit the number of terms they can hold office. Now they, knowing that, have nothing to lose so they can continue to hold true to their own beliefs and they remain true to the United States of America.
You know, by doing that they actually increase their “worth” to their own state’s population once they are no longer in a Federal position.
I’d sure hire them!
And that’s my view.